Wednesday, October 12, 2011

And The Winner Is.....

Attitude and activity!!!  All things being equal, those with the best attitude and most activity usually win.  All things not being equal, those with the best attitude and most activity STILL usually win.

I can't speak on behalf of all industries, but I think it's safe to say that the majority of fields are being led by driven, motivated and positive individuals.  So, let's break this down into two parts....

Attitude


Ok, so for the few that didn't immediately close out of this page upon reading "attitude", let me give my two cents on why having the proper attitude is so extremely important.  So important, that I've consistently asked my managers to "hire for attitude, and train for skill".

Now, I understand that approach won't work in every industry, i.e. doctors, engineers, etc.  Some industries allow you to be a social cripple if your skill sets are strong enough. Talent, sometimes, will overshadow an average attitude or poor approach towards your career.

"There are really only two dimensions to the concept of attitude - you either behave as though you are a victim of circumstance, or you take full responsibility for your situation." ~ Richard Rudd


The first step to an improved attitude, speaking from personal experience, is taking total and complete ownership over your situation.  Understand and accept that nobody is going to come and rescue you.  No one is coming to save your day.  I'm not suggesting to turn your back on help, I'm saying you, and you alone, will be the one crawling and clawing your way out of whatever situation you may be in.

Once you accept that, stop worrying, and direct your energy and efforts towards finding a solution, the tides immediately turn in your favor.

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein


Attitude may not be EVERYTHING.....but's it's pretty close.  And it's not something you do once, and toss it to the side.  It's not spare change that you can use when convenient.  It's your only form of currency.  You either invest it properly and see huge returns, or you foolishly neglect it and squander it away.  It's like a muscle - work it out and it grows stronger.



Action


You have a better chance of acting your way into feeling, than you do of feeling your way into action.  If I had a dollar for every time I've heard someone say, "As soon as I take care of "this", I'll start "that" - I'd have about $16.  Still, I know we've all compartmentalized tasks into either/or.  Someone is always getting ready to get ready.

I'm hot for motivation.  However, when I was 20 years old, I read something that rocked my naive world.  I wish I remembered where I read it, or who wrote it, but here's the gist.....

Motivation does NOT work.  Only YOU do.  Stop waiting to be motivated into action, and just start acting.  It's the small successes that come from forward movement and progression that will get your juices flowing and help you become more and more motivated by the moment.

See, I was holding onto this belief that "something" I read, experienced or saw (cars, vacations, homes, etc.) would stir my soul into making me WANT to working hard.  Which DOES work.......temporarily.  It wears off the second you accomplish it, or realize that it's unattainable.  It also means that you're constantly in a start-stop state of mind.

When I realized that if I just started working, it would create this internal energy and excitement that would propel me into accomplishing more and more, everything changed.

The old saying, "Objects at rest tend to stay at rest, and objects in motion tend to stay in motion" is likely the most accurate comparison I know of in regards to action and motivation.

Simple, be positive, and start now.  It's not always going to be easy, but if you're working on something you're passionate about, that you feel is purposeful, it will always be worth it!

In no way is this meant to be "preachy".....I write this for me, because I can internalize it when I write it, read it and share it.  If you take anything at all from any of this, I'm glad I shared.





No comments:

Post a Comment